The COGAN Family of Taunton in England
Unknown Cogan was possibly Henry Cogan and he may have been the Henry Cogan
who married Elizabeth Carye on 1 Jul 1565 in Chedzoy. [Ref]
Children of Unknown Cogan:
- Henry Cogan died in Taunton in 1612.
- John Cogan died in Taunton in 1614. [Ref]
- Tamsin Cogan (probable sister) married Peter Marler on 16 May 1590 at St.
Mary Magdalen's in Taunton. [Ref]
- Thomas Cogan (probable brother) contested his brother John's will. [Ref]
- Elizabeth Cogan (possible sister) married John Cole of Taunton. [Ref]
John left her £10 per annum. [Ref]
- Daughter Cogan (possible sister) married Timothie Potts of Chard. [Ref]
Timothie was a barber. [Ref]
John left her daughters £5 each. [Ref]
HENRY COGAN (d 1612) of Taunton
Parents: Unknown Cogan
Henry Cogan died in 1612 in Taunton. [Ref]
He was buried from St. Mary Magdalene's in Taunton on 1 Dec 1612. [Ref]
He married Joan Boridge on 30 Nov 1590 at St. Mary Magdalene's in Taunton. [Ref]
In his will, dated 27 Nov 1612 and probated on 29 Jun 1613, he is described
as a clothier of Taunton. He left £10 each to each of his six daughters:
Johane, Judith, Mary, Elizabeth, Anne and Frances. They were to be paid at their
marriages unless they married without the consent of their mother. In this case
they were to lose their shares for five years. Henry also left three pairs of
gloves, furnished with fleece, to his son John upon his marriage. His other
sons are not mentioned. [Ref]
'This Henry Cogan was not a wealthy man.' [Ref]
Children of Henry Cogan and Joan Borige. All baptisms, due to McCracken [Ref],
were in St. Mary Magdalene's.
- Johane Cogan was born about 1591. She married William Durston on 13 Apr
1618 at St. Mary Magdalene's. [Ref]
- John Cogan was baptised on 16 Apr 1593. He married Margaret Gaspye on 26
Jun 1615 at St. Mary Magdalene's. [Ref]
She was buried from there on 17 Dec 1643. [Ref]
John and Margaret had four children. [Ref]
- Judith Cogan was baptised on 13 Jun 1594. She died on 6 Feb 1661/2 in Plymouth.
[Ref] She married first William
King on 13 Apr 1618 in a double wedding with her sister Johane. [Ref]
William was buried on 15 May 1619 in Taunton. [Ref]
Judith married second Giles Rickard on 7 Jan 1623/4 in West Hatch, co. Somerset.
[Ref] She came with him to
Plymouth. [Ref] Giles married
second Joan Tilson on 20 May 1662. [Ref]
He married third Hannah (Pontus) Churchill.
[Ref] He was a weaver. [Ref]
Judith had on child with her first husband and three children with her second
husband. died in Lancaster on 17 (3) 1671
- Mary Cogan was baptised on 22 Nov 1595. She married James Glass on 24 Jan
1613/4 at St. Mary Magdalene's. [Ref]
He was burried on 22 Feb 1638/9 in Taunton. [Ref]
Mary and James had 12 children. [Ref]
- Elizabeth Cogan was baptised on 13 Mar 1597/8. She was buried on 17 Apr
1615 in Taunton. [Ref]
- Jane Cogan was baptised on 25 Mar 1599.
- Grace Cogan was baptised on 9 Oct 1600.
- Richard Cogan was baptised on 17 Jan 1602/3. He was buried on 6 Sep 1620
in Taunton. [Ref]
- Marian (Anne) Cogan was baptised on 10 Aug 1603. She was buried on 6 Sep
1614 in Taunton. [Ref]
- Frances Cogan was baptised on 24 Feb 1605/6. She
died in Lancaster on 17 (3) 1671. She married John
- Henry Cogan was baptised on 6 Apr 1607. He was almost certainly the 'Mr
Henry Cogan of Barnstable'. [Ref]
Henry Coggen of Barnstable "died in England about the 16th of June last
[1649?]." [Ref] Inventory
was taken on his estate on 3 Oct 1649. [Ref]
He married Abigail, the daughter of Thomas and Avis (Abbott) Bishop of Bridport,
co. Dorset. [Ref] Abigail
married second John Finney on 9 Jul 1650 in Barnstable. [Ref][Ref]
On 13 Feb 1639/40 Henry Cogan of Barnstable agreed to transfer his indentured
servant James Glass to Manasseth Kempton of Plymouth. [Ref]
Henry Cogan is on a 1640 list of inhabitants of Barnstable. [Ref]
He is in the Barnstable section of the 1643 list of those between 16 and 60
able to bear arms in Plymouth Colony. [Ref]
FRANCES COGAN (d 1671)
Parents: Henry Cogan and Joan Borige
Frances Cogan was baptised on 24 Feb 1605/6. [Ref]
She died in Lancaster on 17 (3) 1671. [Ref][Ref,
p. 14] She married John Whitcomb on 26 Nov 1623
in St. Mary's Parish, Taunton. [Ref]
Court Records, Laws and 17th Century Texts, Plymouth Colony Archive
Hamblin, David, trans. "The First Settlers of Barnstable," New
England Historical and Genealogical Register 2, 1848, 64-67.
McCracken, George E., "Early Cogans English and American," New
England Historical and Genealogical Register 110, 1956, 185-201, 258-276;
111, 1957, 5-18, 84-91, 168-187.
No Author, The Birth, Marriage, and Death Register, Church Records and Epitaphs
of Lancaster, Massachusetts: 1643-1850, Lancaster, unknown, 1890.
Nourse, Henry S., The Birth, Marriage, and Death Register, Church Records
and Epitaphs of Lancaster, Massachusetts: 1643-1850, Lancaster, unknown,
1890. Online: Ancestry.com.
Otis, Amos, trans., "Scituate and Barnstable Church Records," New
England Historical and Genealogical Register 9, 1855, 279-287; 10,1856,
Shurtleff, Nathaniel B., "List of Those Able to Bear Arms in the Colony
of New Plymouth 1643," New England Historical and Genealogical Register
4, 1850, 255-259.
Ward, Andrew, "Lancaster Records," New England Historical and
Genealogical Register 16, 1862, 352-359; 17, 1863, 70-.
Winsor, Justin, "Abstract of the Earliest Wills in the Probate Office,
Plymouth," New England Historical and Genealogical Register, various