Led by Isaac Smith settlers from Eastham travelled up the Connecticut River in 1739 to Middle Haddam parish, located between the towns of Middletown and Haddam. In 1746 the settlement was renamed Easthampton after Eastham. In 1767 it was split from Middletown and incorporated as Chatham. It was renamed East Hampton in 1915. It is located 30 miles from Hampton and should not be confused with East Haddam, another town in Middlesex county. Middlesex county, which contains East Hampton, was formed in 1785 from parts of Hartford and New London counties.
FAMILIES: Clark, Harding, Sears
CTGenWeb town site
Lakeview Cemetery (on the www.findagrave.com website)
On the DUNHAM - WILCOX - TROTT - KIRK website: Barbour vital records, early marriages, other Middlesex county records
Chatham Historical Society website
Whittemore, Henry, ed., History of Middlesex County, Connecticut, New York, J. B. Beers & Co., 1884. Online, Internet Archive.
Photo: Lake Pocctopaug in East Hampton; Source: Wikimedia Commons
Send comments and corrections to email@example.com