The origin of Chelmsford was a 1652 petition signed by citizens of Concord and Woburn requesting the right to look at land on the other side of the Concord River. On 19 May 1653, 29 men, including Isaac Learned, Wiliam Chamberlain, Thomas Adams, William Fletcher, Robert Proctor and Richard Hildreth, requested a grant of six square miles. [Waters (1917)] Chelmsford was incorporated in 1655.
Adams, Barron, Butterfield, Chamberlain, Farwell, Fletcher, Hildreth, Learned, Parker, Proctor, Richardson, Spalding, Underwood, Warren
Waters, Wilson, History of Chelmsford, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, Courier-Citizen co., Lowell, MA, 1917.
Photo: Old Chelmsford Garrison House
Thomas Adams deeded the land to his son, Pelatiah Adams, in 1683. Peletiah deeded the land and house to his two sons in 1702.
Google map of Chelmsford
Send comments and corrections to email@example.com