Concord, located in south central New Hampshire, is the state capital. The land was originally home to the Penacook Indians and the planation was originally called Penacook (or Pennycook). On 17 Jan 1725 the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony granted the Plantation of Penacook to Benjamin Stevens and his associates. On 9 Feb 1734 the town was incorporated as Rumford. By the end of the 1740s Rumford was engaged in a bitter boundary dispute with Bow -- laid out by New Hampshire -- and had no government. After a resolution of the dispute the name of the town was changed to Concord in 1765.
The Concord town website has an excellent history section that includes genealogical information.
Bouton, Nathaniel, History of Concord, New Hampshire : from the original grant in seventeen hundred and twenty-five to the opening of the twentieth century, Concord, N.H.: Rumford Press, 1903. Online: Ancestry. com.
Send comments and corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org
View of Concord from across the Merrimack river. The building with the dome is the state house. Source: Istock photos
View Larger Map